Town of Osgood Minutes
Town of Osgood
Tuesday, November 17, 2015
Present at the meeting were Norman Kappes, Holley Rose, DeDee Holliday, Tammy Wilhoit, John Ertel, Larry Bewley, Toby Church, Tony Wood, Steve Wilhoit, Mike Stephens, and Wanda Burnett.
Pledge of Allegiance
Roll Call - all present
Motion to waive the reading and adopt the pre-read minutes. DeDee 1st, Holley 2nd
Commonwealth Engineers - Toby Church was present to discuss the Sidewalk and Lighting Project and give an update on the Water Plant.
- Sidewalk and Lighting Project: the lighting portion is almost complete, they need to bust out bases, clean up, and lift outlet boxes and put stone under them. The Sidewalk portion is going good, the base is down - waiting on weather to put on topcoat, about ˝ of top soil is down - waiting on weather, and working on seeding. Both are near completion. It’s down to minor items, cleanup, and dirt work.
- Water Plant: the chemical reduction is going well, reduced about 30% so far. Backwashes have been narrowed down to every 5 to 6 days. The 200,000 gallon water tank is getting the interior sand blasted and refinished. After completion of the water tank work, we can start the non-production during the 3rd shift testing. Toby expressed his concern for the need to strip and refinish the outside of the tanks as well. We need to ensure the longevity of the tanks. He suggested trying to get the exteriors done as a project. Steve Wilhoit asked if they do anodes or rectifiers for water tanks. Toby stated they do and that is something that would need to be done right away.
Claims for the Sidewalk and Lighting Project were presented as follows:
- Paul H. Rohe Company - partial payment #1 for $286,311.00 with retainage of $15,069.00
- Electric Plus Inc. - Change Order #B-1 - decrease of $8,308
- Electric Plus Inc. - partial payment #3 for $58,497.40 with retainage of $3,078.80
Motion to approve claims and change order. Holley 1st, DeDee 2nd
3 - ayes
Southeastern Indiana Regional Planning Commission needs our appointment to the 2016 Board of Directors.
Motion to appoint Tammy Wilhoit to the Southeastern IN Regional Planning Commission Board of Directors. Holley 1st, DeDee 2nd
3 - ayes
Motion was made to adopt Ordinance 2015-4, an ordinance authorizing the lending of funds from the Regional Revenue Sharing Fund to the Police Department Operating Budget. Holley 1st, DeDee 2nd
3 - ayes
Indiana Department of Environmental Management conducted a survey on October 22, 2015 at the Water Department. The following deficiencies were observed:
- The clarifiers steel components have flaking paint.
- The south clarifier northwest trough needs even flow.
- The settling chamber top boards have some rotten areas.
- The fluoride line needs to be labeled, was recommended to move the fluoride injection point to have a minimum of 18 inches of separation from the chlorine injection point to allow for proper mixing.
- Dispose of expired reagents in the laboratory storage cabinet.
A written detailed explanation, documenting compliance with each of the deficiencies must be submitted to IDEM within 45 days of the letter that was received on November 9th.
Employees, Steve Wilhoit and Chris French, have requested Council to consider allowing them to carry over their vacation and personal days to the New Year. Council has decided to table this request.
Employees would like to request Christmas Eve as a paid holiday to spend with family and friends.
Motion to approve Christmas Eve as a paid holiday. DeDee 1st, Holley 2nd
3 - ayes
Motion to approve December 4th for the Town’s Christmas party. Holley 1st, DeDee 2nd
Fire Department - Mike Stephens was present and gave the statistical report: 12 First Response Run, 1 Fire, and 1 Auto Accident
Wastewater Department - Tony Wood stated the fertilizer was out and the UV has been cleaned and put up. The compliance schedule is current and they are moving forward. The monthly report was good and the chemical costs are coming down. He has compared the first 10 months of electric costs in 2014 to the first 10 months of costs in 2015, we are $10,200 ahead thanks to tweaking technology and Toby Church’s help from Commonwealth. Tony thanked the Police Department for their assistance in safety and traffic control on the highway. Also, wanted to thank North Vernon for their vactor and Greensburg for the use of their chain hydraulic root cutter.
Gas Department - Steve Wilhoit stated the gas main on County Road 300 N is complete. They installed 11,500 ft. of 4 inch main and 3,600 ft. of service line. They installed 16 new taps for 13 new customers, 4 are online now. The others are waiting on their propane tanks to run out, then they will be switching over. Steve would eventually like to keep going north on Michigan Road toward Napoleon and south on Railroad Avenue. Inspectors from the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission will be here on the 30th of November to go over public awareness and other stuff with the mapping.
Street Department - Steve Wilhoit stated the projects are winding down. He stated that 2 or 3 manholes had been covered with dirt, but with the GIS system they were able to locate them. The last day for leaf pick up will be Monday, November 23rd. They will make one pass thru town that day and will be done. Anyone who still has leaves after that will need to bag them and they will pick up the bags. He stated Dan Mulford has been doing a great job with the GIS system, he is currently 95% done with sewer, 90% done with gas, and currently working on building the water maps.
Police Department - Larry Bewley gave Council the run report. The runs are down some this month. The new car is in, graphics are done, and it’s currently at Doug Wolfer’s getting the electronics and lights transferred. He wanted to thank the sewer department for allowing them to use their garage to strip the old car down. Larry asked council if they would be willing to donate the old car to the Career Center for educational purposes for the mechanics and law enforcement classes.
Motion was made to donate the old police car as is to the Career Center. Holley 1st, DeDee 2nd
3 - ayes
Holley Rose wanted to thank the Street Department and everyone who came out for “Brick or Treat”. She is now looking at partnering with the 4-H Jr. Leaders for “Winter on the Bricks” - Santa, carolers, and hot chocolate. More information to come.
|Osgood Town Hall||Osgood Street Utilities||Osgood Water Plant||Ripley Co. Sheriff|
|Monday - Friday||Monday - Friday||24/7/365||24/7/365|
|8:30 am - 12:00 pm||7:30 am - 11:30 am||812-689-4324||Emergencies - 911|
|1:00 pm - 4:00 pm||12:00 pm - 4:00 pm||Non Emergencies:|
|After 4 PM Leave Message||After 4 PM Leave Message||Street Department will be Dispatched Out|
Osgood Utilities can now be reached 24-7-365, after hours and weekends for gas leaks, water leaks, sewer backups, etc. Simply call 812-689-0178 for a live dispatcher to get the service you need.