Town of Osgood Minutes
Town of Osgood
Wednesday, January 4, 2017
Present at the meeting were Tammy Wilhoit, Steve Wilhoit, Holley Rose, Norman Kappes, David Bultman, John Ertel, Arlene Knudson, and Amberly Wenning.
Roll Call - all present
John Ertel gave Oaths of Office to David Bultman (Council) and Tammy Wilhoit (Clerk-Treasurer).
Motion was made to keep Norman Kappes as the Council President. Holley 1st, David 2nd
3 - ayes
Motion was made to keep council meetings on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 7:00 P.M. Holley 1st, David 2nd
3 - ayes
Motion was made to retain all current Superintendents. Holley 1st, David 2nd
3 - ayes
Motion was made to appoint Council as the Board of Public Works and Safety and the Board of Finance. Holley 1st, David 2nd
3 - ayes
Resolution 2017-1 was presented with contract. This contract is for cleaning services by Jeanne DeBurger to clean the Town Hall and Community Center.
Motion was made to approve Resolution 2017-1 and sign contract. Holley 1st, David 2nd
3 - ayes
Resolution 2017-2 was presented with contract. This contract is for cleaning services by Jeanne DeBurger to clean the Gas Utility Office.
Motion was made to approve Resolution 2017-2 and sign contract. Holley 1st, David 2nd
3 - ayes
Resolution 2017-3 was presented with contract. This contract would employ John A. Ertel for legal services. Resolution and contract was tabled.
Resolution 2017-4 was presented with contract. The contract states that the Town of Osgood needs to provide fire protection services to the residents and businesses. Osgood Volunteer Fire Department is available and willing to provide those services.
Motion was made to approve Resolution 2017-4 and sign contract. Holley 1st, David 2nd
3 - ayes
Resolution 2017-5 was presented with contract. This contract states that the Town of Osgood has the legal authority to contract with the Jackson Center Delaware Fire Territory for the provision of fire protection services. These fire protection services would be by the Osgood Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. through the Town of Osgood.
Motion was made to approve Resolution 2017-5 and sign contract. Holley 1st, David 2nd
3 - ayes
Conflict of Interest forms were signed by David Bultman, Tammy Wilhoit, and Holley Rose.
Humana Insurance will be increasing by 13%. Town wishes to continue coverage with Humana with a higher deductible.
Steve Wilhoit was present and discussed with Council the goals for the upcoming year:
- 2003 Street Truck needs to be replaced, approximately $20,000 has been spent in engine repairs.
- A grant from the Reynolds Foundation to do another S. Buckeye Street Sidewalk Project is planned for 2017, which will include Stormwater, curb, and lighting. This will be a very large project. A secondary project of Walnut Street was also looked at with the Town going after Federal grant funding. The State put that funding on hold hoping for more money because of the presidential election. Steve has completed requirements to go after this funding which included a Road Inventory, ADA Compliance, and online classes.
- A Reynolds Foundation Grant was received for $70,000 to replace secondary street signs in town. It will be the same design as Buckeye Street, but smaller, cheaper version with Town Employees doing the work.
- A Reynolds Foundation Grant was received for $3,972 to paint the light posts on Beech Street and Walnut Street. This will need to be done during the summer.
- Garbage - still having issues with rental property and people moving and putting a massive amount of trash out. With Rumpke’s contract we have 2 heavy trash pickups per year, Steve has been talking with Rumpke and trying to come up with solutions to help this situation. They are discussing not doing the 2 heavy trash pickups per year and just doing pickup all year round. Mattresses still have to be wrapped in plastic. Steve stated that Rumpke’s new contract will need to be reviewed by John Ertel to make sure the fees are still good. Also being discussed is the possibility of placing a dumpster on a Saturday and having residents dump with Town approval. The option of purchasing our own Garbage Truck is still being looked at also.
- Rate Structures- Council and many people have discussed doing a 1.5% rate increase on sewer, water, and trash every year for 5 years. At the end of the 5th year contract a rate study to be completed to see if the rates are in line, if they are too high reduce them, if they are too low adjust them. This will help prevent the large increases that occur every 6 to 10 years. Norman Kappes told John Ertel to make this happen.
- Margaret Mary is interested in doing their Family Fun Night at the trails again this year. Parking will need to be addressed.
- Bricktoberfest was scheduled for the 1st weekend in October, but that is the start of Fall Break so an alternative date of September 23rd is being looked at instead.
- Osgood Beautification Committee will be holding their Music on the Bricks again this year. It will be the 2nd Tuesday of June, July, and August.
- Brick or Treat is scheduled for October 31st.
- Winter on the Bricks is tentatively scheduled for December 15th.
- Osgood Redevelopment Commission should look at starting a committee to get people to look at investing in the community.
- Still dealing with complaints at 206 and 223 N. Elm for over a year. John Ertel stated that he is working on this.
- A Reynolds Foundation Grant was received for $6,875 to do a Stormwater Study. With this study we will be able to go after Federal Grants.
- Steve would be interested in going after another DNR Grant for trails. He would like to contact Mary McCarty with SIRPC to see about grant funding from Rising Sun and the Ripley County Community Foundation to do a land clearing to prepare for the DNR Grant. 38 ash trees had to be removed from the trails and the Black Memorial Fund has granted $700 to plant new trees.
- Since the transfer of Nick Buchanan to the Water Dept. from the Sewer Dept. it needs to be reiterated that all departments will help each other out and work together.
- There have been inquiries about the property at 240 W. Wilson.
- Steve has contacted Duke Energy, Becker Electric, and a third party will be contacted to look into energy savings at the Town Hall with switching to LED lights.
Resolutions and contracts signed.
Motion to adjourn the meeting. Holley 1st, David 2nd
3 - ayes
|Osgood Town Hall||Osgood Street Utilities||Osgood Water Plant||Ripley Co. Sheriff|
|Monday - Friday||Monday - Friday||24/7/365||24/7/365|
|8:30 am - 12:00 pm||7:30 am - 11:30 am||812-689-4324||Emergencies - 911|
|1:00 pm - 4:00 pm||12:00 pm - 4:00 pm||Non Emergencies:|
|After 4 PM Leave Message||After 4 PM Leave Message||Street Department will be Dispatched Out|
Osgood Utilities can now be reached 24-7-365, after hours and weekends for gas leaks, water leaks, sewer backups, etc. Simply call 812-689-0178 for a live dispatcher to get the service you need.